Friday, January 30, 2009

P is for Puppy...

... I really want a puppy. When I say that, everyone tells me why I shouldn't get one. Here are some of their reasons:
You live in an apartment so you can't have a dog.
You and Alma both work, so you won't be able to take care of it when you're gone all day.
Having a dog is like having a baby - you two aren't ready for that yet.
Dogs are expensive.
Dogs need room to run around and you don't have a yard.

I think all of these reasons are exceedingly lame. Here is my response to each of them:
Our apartment lets us have small pets, and I don't want a big dog, so it would be fine.
I don't go to work until 9 and Alma gets home at 2, which means puppy would only be alone 5 hours a day, and we could just keep it in the kitchen while we were gone. It would be a-okay.
Everyone talks about how having a baby brings a couple closer together - shouldn't we want that for ourselves? This way, we wouldn't have to go through the hassle of pregnancy.
A little dog doesn't eat that much, and wouldn't be anything we couldn't afford.
A little dog doesn't need that much room to run, and I would take it for walks every day. Promise. At least most days. And it could run around our apartment.

I would take any dog:

Either of these two adorable little aussiepoos would be great.

Or this darling puffball of a Maltese.

And this beautiful labradoodle would be fab.

I'm sure I've convinced all of you that Alma and I could handle a little baby puppy to give our love to. The only problem is that all of these arguments have failed to work on my husband. Got any advice? Cause I really need a puppy.

11 comments:

Nicole said...

I don't have any advice for you as to how to convince your husband, but we got a kitty early in our marriage to tide me over because we weren't ready to get pregnant yet. Puppies require a lot more work than kitties, but it is definitely fun to have a little animal around. Hulk was our first baby. : ) She was crazy jealous when we brought home Paxton though. The vet put her on cat prozac!! Works like a charm though! : ) Good luck convincing the hubby! (Oh, and I hate that people say that having a baby brings you closer together. People shouldn't have babies just to bring them closer together. It doesn't work like that. It only works like that if the couple is already really happy in their marriage. My cousin got pregnant because she thought it would fix their marriage. Not saying that's you with the whole puppy thing, but I just think it's sad people do that. Anyway. . . I'm getting off my soap box now.) : )

Carson and Shelly* said...

So I totally think that you should get a dog. I would recommend getting one that is already potty trained but still young. Our Killer dog is seriously our baby I like to think that he is preparing us for kids. We got Killer even before we were married. I think every couple should have a dog before having kids. Oh and about talking your husband into one just take him to go see the puppies. nobody can deny a cute puppy.

Kathleen said...

This won't help your case any. Two of my good law school friends got puppies recently. One of them has spent $1,000 since November in food, necessities, and vet bills. The other can never be spontaneous because she always has to go home to walk that stupid dog.

Sure, pets are fun... they are so excited to see you at the end of the day, and they love you unconditionally, but they are such a crazy responsibility! Think of the loss of spontaneity in your life... and having to make accommodations when you go out of town... (and kennel bills)... and having to spend time and money taking it to the vet! Dogs are way too much of a responsibility for me! All the responsibility and none of the fun of children! At least with children, they'll be able to do things on their own eventually... plus, they're totally part of the Plan.

So, in short.. because this is a ridiculously long comment... I'm on the side of Alma and all of your other friends with their totally valid concerns!

Rasmussen Family said...

also, you forgot to mention how the bark all the time...the smaller, the yippier the dog

Kate Patterson said...

hey Alexis! i think you should get a puppy. i mean how hard can it be. people in paris have dogs and they like all live in apartments! i think you should get the labradoodle. it is really cute. miss you and alma a bunch!

Anonymous said...

Well I'm gonna say you should get a dog. If you ever go out of town, I'll watch it. Dogs are cute and fun and I think you should get one.

carlean said...

Just one thing. You can't bring it home with you when you come to visit. no way. sorry. So I will have to side with your husband on this one.

jeannie said...

i was just thinking that if i was your neighbor and your dog barked ever i don't think i would like you that much. but i do think the maltese is adorable and would be all for a dog if it didn't bark, smell, cost money or shed. but jace would love it.

Shelly said...

the chewing, kenneling when going out of town, the pooping and peeing on anything you own, the puking, not to mention all the shots and barking. Just let me tell you now from experience....spend your time on your husband not a dog. This too shall pass. Dogs are much easier to acquire than they are to get rid of. I say this with all the love I have for my dog. But I also will tell you. People should NEVER compare animals and babies. One you can get rid of and one is for eternity. enough said.

Jordan said...

I want a puppy too! But I just keep getting the same responses you are getting about reasons not to get a dog. I'm baby hungry and I think a dog would be a great way to prepare...

Bubba Weinstein said...

I suggest a Kitten. A cat is the best for a working couple because they are OK with being left alone most of the day. Because they know it is their house not yours. When you need some affection from them then they give it to you, but not too much then they leave to sleep somewhere else. It is easier to scoop the poop in a litter box than pick up the poop outside or on your carpet. A cat is not going to bark all the time and make the neighbors hate you.

So get a kitten.