Thursday, January 29, 2009

S is for Slumdog Millionaire...

... So I did it. I watched Slumdog Millionaire. I know, I know, how could I? It's rated R, right? Haven't you only watched only one other rated R movie in your life?! (And don't think I'm going to tell you what movie that was - it was a total waste)

In case you haven't heard, Slumdog Millionaire's been getting a ton of buzz. I mean, it's been nominated for like, a kajillion awards, including an Oscar for best picture. Normally, this wouldn't sway my no rated-R stance, but when I looked up why it was rated R, I discovered it was for four instances of the F-word and not much else.

Now don't think that the F-word doesn't bother me. It does. I wince every time I hear it. But I really wanted to see this movie. And my mom watched Erin Brokovitch and it was way more language than that (that's right, I just threw my own mother under the bus as an excuse to see the movie - see how desperately I wanted to see this thing?). And it doesn't help that Alma has no problem watching rated R movies.

So we watched it. And guess what - it shouldn't have been rated R. I caught maybe two or three instances of the F-bomb, and Alma picked up on none of them. It was no worse than most PG-13 movies, and a lot better than some. And it was GOOD. Really good. Two thumbs way, way up, as Roger and Ebert would say.

If you've been debating whether this one is worth watching, stop it. Go see it. Now. It's that good.


3 comments:

Shea McGee said...

We have been trying to decide for months now if we should go see it...thank you, I guess we'll have to now.

carlean said...

Thanks a lot for using me as your excuse!

Shelly said...

hair splitter!