Monday, February 2, 2009

R is for Revolutions...

...I wasn’t going to bother messing around with New Year’s resolutions this year. I never follow through with them anyway. Usually I pick things that are super specific, like write in my journal once a week, read scriptures every day, lose 15 pounds, etc. They’re usually the same every year because I constantly have to work on the same things. Why waste my time with them this year?

But then I went to breakfast with my dear friend Whitney, and she just happened to mention that her class of nine year-olds (she teaches 3rd grade) calls resolutions revolutions. Which got me thinking – what if I did New Year’s revolutions instead of resolutions? Our dear friends Merriam and Webster define revolution as “a fundamental change in the way of thinking about or visualizing something: a change of paradigm.” I like that. A fundamental change – a paradigm shift. There are definitely some parts of my life that need to shift.

I'll be rolling out my New Year’s Revolutions this week. I know it’s a bit late, but I figure better late than not at all. After all, these are revolutions. You just can’t come up with them in a day. I'll be putting up one revolution a day since it would be one massive post if I posted them all on the same day. People seem to be able to read the internet only in bite-sized increments.

And what better way to be held accountable than to publicly state my revolutions and then report on them from time to time? That's right, everyone, not only do you have my revolutions to look forward to, but I'll be posting periodic updates on my progress.

I knew it. Ya'll can't wait.

No comments: