Wednesday, February 4, 2009

R is for Revolution #2...

... Change from a student to a scholar

For all of you who don’t know, I’m starting my Master’s in English here at the good ol’ BY. Which means I have to do a master’s thesis. Which means I have to do independent, scholarly research. EEK!

High school was a walk in the park for me, and as much as I hate to admit it, I kind of breezed through my bachelor’s with a minimum amount of effort as well. I was a student who did just enough to get the grade I was comfortable with. I even told a professor once that I wasn’t going to do the writing assignment because I had enough points to take the zero and still get a decent grade. Terrible, I know. Terribly lazy.

But now that I’m a grad student, I have to be better than that. I’m expected to think original thoughts, and comment original comments. Next week, I have to write and share a paper with my ENTIRE class, who will then analyze and discuss it. Scary.

What all this is building up to is the fact that I have to transition from a student to a scholar. I have to really know what I’m talking about and remember things from one semester to the next. I have to be able to quote theories and articles and scholars. Which is all stuff I’ve never been able to do before.

It’s going to take a lot more work than I’m used to. If anything qualifies as a resolution, this does.

2 comments:

jeannie said...

so you actually have to KNOW the stuff your talking about instead of just pretending and making it up :)

Jessica said...

And this explains one of the reasons I am not back to get my master's...the thought of writing a thesis.