Friday, February 6, 2009

B is for Blueberries...

... I know I'm late on this recipe, but it is soooo good, I wanted to get it up even if I don't have any pictures to go with it (which is what I've been waiting on).

The local Macey's grocery store had a sale on salmon and blueberries, and I'm sure glad they did, because it led to this wonderfully harmonious pairing of the two. Seriously, this was delicious. The salmon mixed with the blueberries and vinegar made just the right amount of sweet and salty. And it was really fast and easy. It took me about 15 minutes to go from start to finish, and I am a slow cook. And I'm sure it can be classified as healthy, despite the cup of sugar in the blueberry sauce!

Even if you don't think fruit and fish or sweet and salty should go together, please give this a try. I doubt you'll regret it!

Salmon with Blueberry Sauce
(from "Flavors of Home" cookbook)

Ingredients:
4 salmon steaks (or salmon pieces)
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vinegar
1/4 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper

Thaw salmon if frozen. In a small saucepan, combine blueberries, sugar and vinegar. Bring to boil over medium high heat, and continue with a rolling boil for four minutes, stirring and crushing the berries. Remove from heat. Set aside but keep warm.

Preheat broiler or barbecue. Melt better in small saucepan. Stir in lemon pepper. Over a barbecue grilll or under a broiler (about 6 inches from heat) broil salmon for about five to seven minutes on each side, until fish flakes when tested with a fork. Brush with lemon butter while grilling. Serve with blueberry sauce on top.

Goes well with a green salad and rice.
Serves 4.

No comments: