Thursday, November 20, 2008

Y is for Generation Y...

... also known as the Millennial Generation. In my meeting on new media today, there was a lot of discussion about how to effectively engage the new, tech-happy generation with their uber-short attention span. All this talk essentially about how to grab my attention got me thinking ... how do the older generations perceive us?

For those of you who don't know, Generation Y is anyone who was born between 1980 and 2000. You can learn more about us millennials here.

The more I experience life in the real business world, the more convinced I am that our generation could run the world much more efficiently and effectively than any of the older generations before us - they just won't let us. The learning curve might be a bit steep, but we learn a heck of a lot faster than anyone who's gone before.

But perhaps my feelings are just a reflection of my generation. Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

carlean said...

I think your generation is smarter, faster, quicker, everything more than the older generation. But I think you are lacking in the "real" stuff that makes a business. I think the older generation knows more about people and how to treat them. I continue to be dismayed at the lack of customer service anymore and that is just as important as the tech stuff. People's feelings should still be important and they aren't.