Monday, November 10, 2008

P is for Pattersons ...

...we had Sunday dinner at the Patterson's last night. I've been going there for almost three years now, at least once a month, for dinner. Kelly was the faculty adviser for my study abroad trip to Paris fall semester '05. Thanks to the efforts of my dear Parisian roommie Denise, the Pattersons became like family to me over the course of the three months we were there. My sister calls them my fake family, and that's what they are, except not fake. They're really family to me. They've been with me through way too many boyfriends, a few heartbreaks, and now an engagement. If that doesn't make you family, I don't know what does.

But here's the rub. Paris is addictive, and after almost three years away, it was just too much to handle. Pattersons leave for Paris for six months in January. I knew they were leaving, but it didn't hit me until last night when we said goodbye. One thing they don't tell you when you get engaged is that you become way more emotional than you ever were before. So when I realized that they were REALLY leaving, the waterworks started. There I was, standing on the doorstep in the rain, crying into Alma's chest because I wasn't going to see them for six months.

So this one's for you, Kelly, Jeanene, Drew, and Kate. We're sure gonna miss you. Eat a lot of pastries for us, make a couple visits to Au Printemps on my behalf, and don't forget to pick up some souvenirs for your favorite Provo couple. We'll be waiting for you with open arms when you get back.

2 comments:

jeannie said...

so sorry that you are losing your fake family for a few months...guess you will just have to hang out with you real family! just kidding, lex, i know they mean a lot to you and have done a lot for you

Kate Patterson said...

Hey i will miss you a lot too! We have to see you one more time before we leave. Thanks for everything. See you later! love ya, kate