Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Z is for Zions ...

... About a week ago we went camping for the weekend at Zion National Park down in southern Utah. Although I had it on good information that the weather would be just lovely, unfortunately, it got quite chilly both afternoons we were there. I may be exaggerating, but I think we almost froze to death on Saturday night. Other than that, everything went wonderfully.

We hiked up Angel's Landing while we there, and although I occasionally felt like my heart was in my throat because of how high we were and how narrow the cliff was, the view at the top was definitely worth the hike up. And as we were hiking along the Emerald Pools trail, we came across four or five deer grazing next to the path. I think that's the closest I've ever been to a deer.

The park is gorgeous this time of year with everything in bloom, and it was great to "get away from it all." In fact, I think the experience may have convinced Alma that camping ain't half bad, even if you can't shower every day.

The view from the top of Angel's Landing

Resting next to the upper Emerald Pool


4 comments:

Jessica said...

Hey-- we're thinking about going camping over Memorial Day. we haven't decided where. Maybe you can help us decide...I want to go to one of the National Parks around here...Moab, Zions, Arches, Bryce Canyon, etc. How did you decide? We don't have bikes or anything, so we'd pretty much just be hiking and hanging out. Also...do you want to come?

Melanie said...

That looks like so much fun. Devin and I hiked Angel's Landing last summer but didn't realize that our camera was broken until we reached the top. I'm still bummed about that. But it was amazing nonetheless. I'm glad you guys got to do it.

Googs said...

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. I can't wait for it to WARM up a bit more so we can go. One bit of advice from your email, don't put food in your tent with you. 1st rule for keeping away bears. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it and got such great pictures. Yah, that last stretch where you are holding onto chains drilled into the mountain and basically hanging off the side of cliffs is a little intense! Congrats on the acceptance news, it will be exciting to hear what happens!