Thursday, April 16, 2009

B is for Bread...

... I've been baking quite a bit of bread lately. Alma loves it, and I enjoy making it. And I think it's cheaper than buying bread from the grocery store. The thing about making bread is that it's time intensive. It doesn't take a lot of work, it just takes a lot of time to rise. I usually make it on Saturday or Sunday when I have plenty of time and stuff to do around the house while the dough rises.

I find that a lot of people have baking bread fears, but truthfully, it's quite simple. Just mix, knead, and let rise. That's it. A few tips on making great bread can be found here. They're really very helpful. Also, if you don't have a bread machine or a KitchenAid, never fear. I don't have either. I just mix my bread dough with a wooden spoon. Also, don't be afraid of kneading. You can't really do it wrong.

I've tried a couple different recipes - maple white bread, which was yummy, especially served warm with sour cream and brown sugar on top (I know it sounds weird, but it was soooo good), and light wheat bread, but I think that I like the old-fashioned, nothing-special, bread recipe from my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook the best. Plus, it makes two loaves from the recipe, while the other ones only make one.

I know I've definitely been slacking on posting recipes, but I haven't been slacking on the cooking. Below are some links to recipes I've made lately that are particularly enjoyable.

Soft Pretzels
Pasta Alla Carbonara
Almost Summer Rice Noodle Salad
Icebox Cake
Fettuccine with Creamy Tomato Sausage

White Bread
From Better Homes & Gardens New Cookbook

Makes 2 loaves

5 ¾ to 6 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 package, or 2 ¼ teaspoons, active dry yeast
2 ¼ cups milk or buttermilk
2 tablespoons suga
1 tablespoon butter, margarine, or shortening
1 ½ teaspoons salt

1. In a large mixing bowl combine 2 ½ cups of flour and the yeast; set aside. In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, sugar, butter, and salt just until warm and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture to flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.

2. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6-8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in lightly greased bowl (I just spray mine with Pam), turning once to grease surface of dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (45-60 minutes).

3. Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease two bread pans.

4. Shape dough halves into loaves by patting or rolling. To shape by putting, gently pat and pinch, tucking edges underneath. To shape by rolling, on a lightly floured surface roll each dough half into a 12x8 inch rectangle. Roll up each rectangle, starting from a short side. Seal seams with your fingertips.

5. Place shaped dough halves in prepared pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (30-40 minutes).

6. Bake in a 375 degree oven about 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped (if necessary, cover loosely with foil the last 10 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning). Immediately remove bread from pans. Cool on wire racks.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

You should get a breadmaker so that you can just toss everything in, delay the timer, and it will be ready when you are. I'm going to try your recipes.